Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Huh?

A couple nights ago, I was tucking Preston into bed for the night, and we started talking about spiders. He was worried that a poisonous spider might bite him while he slept. I tried to assure him that he wouldn't get bit. But that didn't work. Then I told him that the worst that could happen (if he got bit) was that he'd get a little sick (like having the flu) and we would take him to the doctor. But that didn't work either. So, I pulled out the big guns. I told him that God is in control of everything. Nothing happens that God didn't plan to happen. And he made his plan even before he made the world. I told Preston that God controls every step a spider takes, and because of that God would protect him, because God doesn't make mistakes.

I thought I had won. I could tell that Preston was thinking about it. I thought he was satisfied with that answer, because (for a moment) the questions had stopped. But just as I was patting myself on the back, Preston looked at me and asked, "Daddy, if God controls every step a spider takes, how come he doesn't move us to sin?"

Huh?

Nothing like a little discussion about the interplay between God's sovereignty and man's free will right at bedtime.

1 comment:

The Slaters said...

Hi guys! Finally checkin' out the blog. Looks good! Its nice to be able to update myself on the "goings-on." Needless to say I got a great big chuckle out of this particular story. Looks like you have a little intellectual in the making. I think he's ready to finish his first day of first grade and skip to seminary school! Yeh, have fun with all the Q's. Glad you are all doing well. love ya! Karsten